Small Problems That Can Lead to Mold Damage
There are a large number of factors that can directly or indirectly lead to mold damage at your home or in a commercial area. From small, slimy green or black spots in the bathroom all the way to white patches in your garage, mold can be anywhere, any time. In our experience, we have found that the most common reason for mold, even more so than flooding, is neglecting small problems that can lead to mold damage.
Mold exposure can lead to irritation in the eyes, throat, skin and even lungs if you are exposed for too long. In this article, we will look at some small indicators of mold damage that you should NOT ignore to avoid mold damage.
Understanding Mold & Key Areas to Consider
Mold is a fungus and spreads rapidly because of its ability to disperse with the wind. However, in order to grow, it requires a place where the spores have enough time to at least develop a basic root structure. In nature, mold is extremely important as it helps break down dead leaves, plants, animals, and other organic material.
It can be most commonly found in rainforests and other moist areas. Although drywall isn’t organic, it is extremely porous. But where does it get its nutrition from? The wood fiber within the drywall. Since the organic material within isn’t enough to sustain a plant for long enough, mold keeps on digging its roots into the wall further in search of more plant fiber.
This is why mold spreads so fast in homes and commercial areas compared to out in the wild.
You may want to continuously get your walls, floors, appliances, curtains, and furniture checked regularly in order to ensure that there are no black or green spots in or around them. This is one of the first problems that, if left, would lead to mold damage.
Small Problems That Can Lead to Mold Damage
The issue with getting rid of mold and mold spores is that there is no way you can guarantee that there are no spores left in the atmosphere. Furthermore, if the climate is moist or you have been experiencing rain for quite a while, it can considerably increase the chances of mold.
If you find that there is a small patch of mold growing in your home or office, it is important that you clean it up quickly, sanitize the place with a strong enough sanitizer that can kill of any remaining roots, and most importantly, address the problem that is causing dampness in the first place.
Simply cleaning up the mold but leaving a leaky faucet is a sure-fire way of guaranteeing that the mold will return.
Common Problems Around the House
It is a common misconception that dehumidifiers and air conditioners aren’t an especially good idea for houses with mold as they could disperse the mold spores. However, that is the exact opposite of the truth. In hot, humid climates, these appliances can make the difference between the perfect environment for them to grow and a dormant one.
It is important to keep HVAC drip pans clean, though, as the dripping water can lead to a humid environment, which in turn leads to mold damage. This is particularly true for winters as the falling temperature means that the humidity tends to condense on cold surfaces.
If you see a wet spot in your home or office – even if it’s in a bathroom – dry it out within 24 to 48 hours, even if the place will get wet again. By drying it for a while, you can inhibit spore growth considerably.
Closed doors are yet another small problem that can lead to mold damage, as this discourages air circulation and therefore gives the spores a place to settle. You don’t need something particularly fancy; just the ceiling fan would work great as well.
Common Problems in The Kitchen
Mold in the kitchen is a surefire way of increasing your chances of getting sick and causing food poisoning. Mold spores on foodstuffs contain toxic substances, mycotoxins, which can lead to acute vomiting, diarrhea, and more.
Even if you see mold on the far side of your kitchen wall, it is important that you call a mold damage restoration company immediately, as spores can get into your food from that as well.
A common problem with some older kitchens is that the exhaust fan from your kitchen will lead into the attic instead of directly outside. When cooking, washing the dishes, or cleaning your kitchen, turn on the exhaust fan and make sure that it is blowing the moisture outside.
Clean the refrigerator drip pans as often as necessary.
Common Problems in Basements & Crawl Spaces
Crawl spaces – especially in hot, humid areas – attract mold pretty quickly if there is moisture in the ground. This is why most construction contractors and disaster restoration companies recommend putting a plastic cover on top of the dirt to make sure moisture does not make your floor wet.
Keeping crawl spaces closed is a very common problem and can lead to mold fairly quickly as moisture starts seeping into your raised foundations. If possible, place a fan on the crawl space entrance and let it run for a few hours to facilitate ventilation.
There are a number of other small problems that can lead to mold damage as well. If you would like to learn more about how to prevent mold, we recommend you call 911 Restoration experts for personalized tips today! We’d love to help you mitigate water damage, mold damage, and any other disasters at home or at the office.